I’ve been having a hard time with something over the last few days, as I’m sure many of you have as well. As I’m sure you know, 17 people were killed in yet another mass shooting at a school in Florida on Valentine’s Day. I am utterly sickened by this event, as I am every time I hear about something like this happening. This, unfortunately, happens all too often, and because of that, I’m sad, angry, and scared for our world’s future. I’m just so incredibly upset that I honestly don’t know what words I can use to accurately express myself. All I can think is, “What is happening in this world? Whatever happened to love?”
I started to write a long, emotional post about how I feel, but it really didn’t feel like it was getting my point across. So instead of focusing on how horrible these events are, I decided to share a post about love. My goal with this post is not to diminish the heartbreak associated with this and all mass shootings, or deter you from taking and supporting political and legislative action as you see fit. My goal is to supplement that action with other, smaller ways we can love those around us that make a global difference.
I put together this list of things we all can do in our everyday lives to make this world a better place. I think we need to try our damned best to counteract the evil in the world, and these are simple things we can all do to bring a little more love to this world. No, it won’t stop hateful people from doing hateful things. However, I can’t help but think that making a little extra effort to spread love in small ways could help the world in a big way.
17 Ways to Spread Love Today:
- Smile at a stranger.
- Contact someone you haven’t talked to in a while.
- Create something with love. (Draw, make music, cook, paint, tool leather, literally anything.)
- Help someone you do not know.
- Donate a little to an important cause. (Click here to find a cause that’s important to you!)
- Share a happy or heart-warming picture of video on social media.
- Call your parents or grandparents and see how they are.
- Give someone a compliment.
- Be kind to someone who angers or frustrates you because empathy is incredibly powerful.
- Buy the order of the person behind you in line at the coffee shop.
- Share a good book with someone.
- Get someone, anyone, flowers. Just because.
- Ask a friend about their day.
- Bake your neighbor some cookies (or whatever your specialty is).
- Hold the door open for someone.
- Identify 5 things you are grateful for today.
- Take some time for self-reflection. What did you do today to make someone’s world a little bit better?
I know these may seem like tiny, insignificant acts, but believe me when I say, they matter. Please remember, even the smallest act of kindness can change a person’s entire outlook on the day, or even the world. We are all human beings, with a common goal of living the longest, happiest life we can. Let’s challenge ourselves to do a little something every day to make someone else’s world a better place, as well as our own. Let’s share some love today and everyday, just because.